No photo can really do this house justice
Most people cannot believe their eyes when they enter Casa Galilei for the first time. Do you know of any other house with its own real caves dating back to Etruscan times?
The apartment (formerly the monastery’s guest quarters) has recently been fully restored, using hand-fired terracotta tiles and chestnut beams that would have been familiar to its original residents.
Despite its antiquity, the apartment is now comfortably equipped with everything the present-day traveller could desire including central heating, washing machine, drier, dishwasher, wi-fi and Sky TV.
Casa Galilei sleeps six in the three permanent bedrooms or eight if the sofa bed in the second lounge is used as a double bed (this option still offers plenty of communal room in the main lounge). It also has two bathrooms, one of which is ensuite. At a stretch, the house can also accommodate two extra people on the single futons in the downstairs bedrooms, thus offering a total of ten sleeping places.
Casa Galilei’s accommodation includes:
Upstairs (level of monastery second floor)
- Large lounge (5m x 7m) with three sofas and Sky TV.
- Master bedroom and ensuite bathroom with floor length windows overlooking the valley. Contains wardrobe and chest of drawers.
- Second lounge/bedroom 2/study (5m x 5m) with a sofa and sofabed, desk printer and wi‑fi – plus floor length windows overlooking the valley. The room faces west with wonderful sunset views.
- Laundry room (marked as ‘Store’ on the floor plan) with washing machine, sink, vacuum cleaner and other cleaning aids.
- Three small grottos, handcarved from the tuff thousands of years ago by the original Etruscan residents of the Rocca. Two of the caves are closed off by doors, while the other (marked as the ‘Cantina’ on the floor plan) is located in the house’s entrance area.
Downstairs (level of monastery first floor)
- Bedroom 3 (4 x 5m) with two single beds plus one futon bed, wardrobe and TV. Floor length windows overlooking the valley.
- Bedroom 4 (5 x 5 m) with two single beds plus one futon bed, wardrobe and TV. Floor length windows overlooking the valley. External door, giving onto a stone staircase leading down to the exterior ground level.
- Bathroom with shower, wc, sink, bidet.
Bed linen and towels, washing machine, dishwasher, Sky TV, DVD players, wi-fi internet, microwave, gas oven with gas hob, fridge-freezer, cot, high chair, iron, ironing board, hair drier, vacuum cleaner, tea/coffee making equipment.
In addition to the bathroom towels, beach towels are also provided for trips to the nearby pools, lakes or seaside.
Other equipment includes a desk and printer, a large selection of books for all ages, including some maps and guidebooks, DVDs and toys.
“With dramatic views across the gorge, the house is located in the oldest part of the settlement, on a site that has been in use for some 3,000 years. At the same time, its spacious, cool rooms and, above all, tasteful and modern interior all ensure that your stay will be most comfortable.”
Dr R.E. Roth, Cambridge, England
Prices per week
The table shows prices for week-long bookings. Discounts may be available for longer stays and the house is also available for shorter visits: see the small print below the table.
|19 July 2013 – 4 September 2013||€685|
|4 September 2013 – 20 December 2013||€600|
|20 December 2013 – 6 January 2014||€685|
Casa Galilei is also available for a reduced rate for couples only using the extremely roomy self-contained top floor apartment, which offers an ideal romantic hideaway.
|19 July 2013 – 4 September 2013||€395|
|4 September 2013 – 20 December 2013||€335|
|20 December 2013 – 6 January 2014||€395|
The small print
Euro prices are fixed to the end of 2013. Price is based on a one week stay: discounts are available for longer periods.
The house is also available for shorter stays (minimum 3 nights) at €110/night.
Bed linen, towels and cleaning included in the price. €100 refundable breakages deposit.
The property is normally available by 4pm on your day of arrival; leave by 10am on departure day.